Monday 26 December 2011

Scrambled Egg Challenge - Part 1 of 6 - Mister Breakfast


So, up early on a Sunday morning, and feeling hungry, what should I have for breakfast? Three eggs left in the fridge - scrambled egg! I’ve been making scrambled egg for donkey’s years, always the same way, so I decided to road test a few different versions, for your own use and information. I’m good like that. Every morning this week my breakfast will be scrambled egg, following - exactly - different recipes.
I’ll award points out of 5 for Taste, Texture, Ease/Effort. My breakfast will be the scrambled egg on two slices of toasted bread, unless specifically instructed otherwise by the recipe.
I intend to look for recipes by established celeb cooks/chefs, but for the first attempt I decided to type “perfect scrambled eggs” into Google, and go for the first method.
So stand up Mr Breakfast, and the weblink http://www.mrbreakfast.com/article.asp?articleid=17
I followed this recipe to the letter, and I have to say it will be a tough act to beat. I’ve decided to use 3 eggs each day, which will be the Tesco Value ones (we had some left after me and Sam made cakes last week) - just to make it fair all the eggs will be of the same quality. This recipe was for two people so I halved everything. The three eggs were joined by 1 teaspoon of milk per egg, plus one “dash” of salt for every two eggs (so, one and a half pinches). I whisked the mixture for exactly 2 minutes as per instructions, then poured it into the pan.
A word on heat settings. If a recipe says “high heat” I will use setting 5 on my hob, “medium heat” will be setting 4, “low heat” will be 3.
So, to the method. As instructed I pushed “set” egg mixture into the middle of the pan with a wooden spoon, allowing the still runny mixture to be swirled around the outside. When there was very little “runny” left I broke it up into large pieces, then flipped the whole lot and cooked for another 30 seconds. It turned out perfectly. So to the scores:
Taste - 3 - nice but slightly bland. Could be down to the quality of the eggs, we shall see as the week goes on.
Texture - 3.5 - delightfully fluffy, but my own personal taste is for slightly runnier scrambled eggs. If you like fluffy, use this recipe!
Ease/Effort - 3 - Very clear instructions, and easy to follow. Whisking the eggs by hand for a full 2 minutes was hard work but worthwhile.
Total score = 9.5 out of 15. Will we find a better way of making scrambled eggs? Who knows - check back tomorrow!
Tomorrow - the Delia Smith method.

No comments: