Saturday 31 December 2011

Scrambled Egg Challenge - Part 6 of 6 - James Martin


Last in to bat is girlie favourite Mister Martin, can he upset the apple cart?…..
The James Martin recipe had high ideas - it was easily the fanciest of the week. You see, the recipes have increased in complexity through the week - I don’t just throw these things together you know! Tirelessly working for a better world!
So. James Martin.. I’m not sure if I like this cook or not. Mostly I think he’s a funny-ish bloke who’s lucky to be on telly doing something he enjoys. Good for him!
This recipe was the first that mentioned presentation. I found that something of a revelation. Added to that the separate parts of the recipe, which made the whole cooking experience easy and productive. James Martin came up with a cracker, scrambled egg disguised as full English. I cooked this with my 4-year-old running round, so it wasn’t a difficult recipe.
So how did this rate:
Taste - 4.5 - Absolutely delicious! Taken as a whole meal, this was basically bacon and eggs, dressed up as scrambled egg. This was bloody delicious, The parsley mushrooms were fantastic, MUCH tastier than I had imagined,
Texture - 4 - I don‘t own a texture meter, but if I did I think it would have gone off the scale. As with all recipes there was no advice on how long to beat the eggs, but after a week of scrambled eggs the whisking has become standard.
Ease/Effort - 3.5 - This recipe is the most demanding, presentation-wise. But it is also one of the easiest. Anyone can fold parsley into cooked mushrooms!
Total score = 12 out of 15. The most demanding recipe of the week wins through. What won it? Well, presentation combined with a superb combination of flavours. This is, essentially, a full English, dressed up as scrambled egg. Make sure the bacon is good quality and you will not go wrong.
The full Results :
12 - James Martin
11 - Jamie Oliver
10.5 - Nigella Lawson
9.5 - Mr Breakfast
8.5 - Delia Smith
6 - Waitrose Dot Com

No comments: